Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Fold by Nathan Gray




Melbourne visual and sound artist Nathan Gray's show The Fold opens at Joint Hassles this Friday 6pm-8pm.

Gray gives an interesting background to the work exhibiting:

"The show was initially intended to be my own version of a museum exhibit. I went to the Osaka Museum of Ethnology recently and was blown away. All the best parts of all the cultures of the world were mixed together, masks costumes musical instruments weapons and rituals. It was a completely different approach to a contemporary Australian museum. I tried to recreate some of the energy of this place by making my own masks and tools, but instead of being in some way ethnological, I realized how much I was being influenced by album covers and band posters. I guess this is my culture.

The work is a collection of collages. The exhibition is a (very) abstract representation of a fictional neolithic village with shelter, tools, musical instruments, masks and decorations all made from paper that I've hand inked dyed, marbled or screen printed. As always it deals with my continued investigations into display and composition, the psychedelic and unseen, music energy and colour."

Much of the mentioned work will be reproduced in the artwork of our forthcoming compilation E.S.P. We highly recommend you see and appreciate it in its original and intended form. Also, check the Joint Hassles blog for a three week calender of free-form live performance.

No comments: